Wednesday 16 March 2011

What A Week!

Well what a week to choose to go on holiday!

Black boxes arrive in stores, in-store viewing of the codex and models, pre-orders up on the GW website, and the internet is abuzz with how the codex has changed compared to the leaked version and what this means for GK armies!




Well where to start! Firstly I'll say that I got back last night, and was straight back to work this morning. As such I haven't had a chance to get to my local Games Workshop to get my nose in a store copy of the codex, so everything you read here is compiled rumour to me still and I give no guarantee of its accuracy.

That said what you see here has usually been sourced from several websites, and a photo of the back page of the codex.

There's a mixed bag of things good and bad, all said the GK codex is looking very strong, yet very well balanced by all accounts.  I won't cover everything here, as I need some material for other posts ;)

So, a few laments and considerations:

Such as Mordrak's Ghost Knights; Taking a hit in max squad size and having all their ranged weapon options removed. I admit now that in it's previous iteration they might have been a bit over balanced. A 5-way combination of first turn-no scatter, 10 terminators, 8 psycannon shots, stealth-born survival and under priced men was a little game breaking. I fully expected to have two or three of these abilities removed in the final codex release, but I did not expect to lose 4 of them! Now they can arrive in the first turn, wave sheepishly and have all 5 blown away from rapid fire weapons.

Still, they're not bad by any means, having access to the brotherhood banner and Mordrak can still generate a few when he loses wounds. But I would have been alot happier if they had stayed at 32 points a head to represent them having no ranged options. Oh well, I may well still take him; he gives the tactics ability and will draw fire while the rest of my army gets into position. Between Mordrak, a scout-move shunting dreadknight(s) and a Callidus assassin, it's possible to be all up in the enemy's grill messing up long range fire support.

This is even more important now as psycannons will only be 24" range, whether using them as assault or heavy weapons. Meaning that while they are still good at suppressing vehicles when they hit, getting them in range is going to be that much harder.

Another tiny lament is a drop in Dreadknight stats. Not the end of the world by any means though and hardly affects his in-game use. So long S7 T7 :(

These are the biggest loses from the playtest leak (there are others but hardly worth mentioning) by no means game ending... but we received alot of nice things too :D

No comments:

Post a Comment