Monday 21 March 2011

List Creation For First Battle

Well tonight will be the first battle for me using the new Grey Knights Codex. My opponent suggested 2500 points. While bigger than most casual games, with everything in the GK codex being so darn expensive I was happy to oblige!

So in my first game I decided to build the army list around my favourite units from the codex. Those being; Librarian, Purifiers, Vindicare, Psflemen, Dreadknight and Callidus. (because Callidus is just fun!)



First think that springs to mind is the fact that my HQ is wearing terminator armour and as such cannot get in a Rhino or Razorback belonging to one of my other squads. This is a pain because I really don't want to run my IC out in the open. An alternative is to get a Stormraven or a Land Raider for him. Well, Stormraven's don't really fit the rest of the models (and I don't have an approx. model) and I don't want to use up a precious Heavy Support slot for a Land Raider. I'm also steering away from these transports, because if I take a Grand Master, non-dedicated transports do not benefit from the scout special rule (boo! no Stormraven-rushes).

So how to get the Librarian safely to where he can be used and use his "Summoning" power to best effect?

Mordrak! I know I poo-poo'ed him a bit in a previous post... but get a full squad of Ghost Knights with him (5) and give 4 of them falchions (+1A for 5 points!) and the 5th a banner (+1 attack to squad and guarenteed activation of force weapons), throw in the Libby and there's a powerful unit! Not to mention now playing with the Grand Strategy rules. So, that'll be a dreadknight with a teleporter with scout then! may as well take Rhino's on other squads for scout fun too.

For my Troops? Hmm well I'll need some survivable scoring so I'll take at least 2 full units of Strike Squads, throw in some MC Hammers (I just love saying that) on the Justicars and some psycannons as well. So, my army is looking something like this:

HQ
Librarian 200
 - 5 powers
 - tele-homer
 - brain mines
Mordrak 200
5 ghost knights 245
 - 4 falchions
 - 1 banner

Elites
10 Purifiers 320
 - 5 halberds
 - MC hammer
 - 2 psycannons
 - Rhino
Vindicare 145
Callidus 145

Troops
10 GKSS 275
 - MC Hammer
 - 2 psycannon
 - Rhino
10 GKSS 275
 - MC Hammer
 - 2 psycannon
 - Rhino
5 GKSS 165
 - MC Hammer
 - 1 psycannon
 - Rhino

Heavy Support
Dreadknight 260
 - Greatsword
 - Hv Incinerator
 - Teleporter
PsyfleDread 135
PsyfleDread 135

So, Scout the Dreadknight into enemy deployment zone to turn around some troops, scout (up to) the two full 10 man GKSS squads into the midfield.

5 Man GKSS squad sticks with the Psflemen Dreads to protect and potential home objective.

Purifiers jump out of the Rhino, hide and wait to be summoned.

Vindicare jumps in the Rhino (I know I lose a turn of shooting, but it gives him some nice armour! especially with fortitude which is likely to away from any psychic defence)

Callidus turns up at some point and has at it!

Is it the most competitive list in the world? No, its got a callidus in it... but it should be fun as hell, and that Mordrak/Librarian "Singularity" will scare the living crap out of your opponent, just need to remember to set them up in cover!

Wish me luck, will produce a bat-rep asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment