Friday 11 February 2011

Army Ideas

I warned you people that I like to plan in advance.

Now that we have a pretty good idea about the shape of the codex, I can think about what my army might consist of. Remember of course, that just like the army list rumors which this is based on, it should be taken with a large pinch of salt.




What I've always envisaged for my GK army is a spear-tip army. Starting with Stormravens on the board which army filled with my most elite units and characters, which a badass dreadnought strapped to the back. These units fly straight into the heart of the enemy (originally I thought I could do this with +2 AV on the front due to a physic power, no more I'm afraid so it's quite risky) and assault ramping down into the enemy's most pivotal units, then my troops would deep strike in to teleporter homers on the lead characters, while the Stormravens flew off to go artillery hunting.

This sounds amazing, but I an painfully aware of it's major downfall. That is, there will be an entire army's worth of firepower pouring into, what will probably be, 2 Stormravens. Armour 12 Stormravens... Autocannons can blow them up. Yes, I could get lucky can only suffer shaken/stunned results (which GK vehicles ignore), but that is one big "if".

But it's difficult to let that image in my head go, you know the one which every gritty war movie or game has started with in the last 25 years, the men sat in the back of a helicopter or plane, flying over some desolate terrain on their way to the DZ... until they come under unexpected fire and crash... and that's how my army would end... lying in the open on my side of the table before they've moved.

Or would they? As long as I take a grand master, D3 units could get scout. and presuming I took 2 Stormravens, there's a 2/3 chance they'll both end up with it... 24" as a scout move would pretty much put me in their deployment zone before the game begun, once there they'd get a 4+ cover save too. Half the time I'd get first turn too, so they could move a further 12" and let the elite units assault ramp out into the enemy. Maybe they aren't such a fail. Even if one Stormraven got scout, leaving the other without a cover save, the massively threatening transport in their deployment zone would certainly draw all the enemy fire, and even if they do drop the bird, chances are not a single troop from inside will perish, leaving them in the enemy camp.

Well this is all very nice, but everything costs points! For those of you paying attention, you'll remember that at the end of April I'm going to Warhammer World for a long weekend with a group of friends, and the points value has been set at 1750.

Sounds like a lot, well watch this:
In the BA codex Stormravens start at 200 points and can easily hit 270 after a few options. As the GK Stormravens are better (can ignore shaken and stunned) we can easily imagine them to hit 250 with some basic load-outs. 2 of those is 500.

1250 left.
well 6 terminators in each storm ravens, thats a squad of 5 plus a character. Vanilla marine TH/SS terminators cost 200 for 5, I can easily imagine the Paladin Terminators coming to 300 for 5, especially after a few options. I'll also want to take some purifiers, either 10 PA marines or 5 Terminator ones, so I can see this squads easily costing 300 points as well. that's 600 for 2 elites

650 left.
Wow running out fast, OK i'll be a librarian and a Special Character (as they reportedly drop the cost of some units). Both in TA, we'll say 150 for libby and 200 for the SC.

300 left.
Wow, at this point I'll struggle to get in 2 units of GK strike teams (basic PA GKs). Let alone equip them with personal teleporters which turn them into jump troops with a once a game 30" move.

I would really of liked to have a dreadknight or two, and an assassin. But there we go.

Of course, this is all total guess work, but I think you'll agree with the rough price range. We'll all have to wait for the codex to make up our minds, but that looks like 2 Stormravens with 6 terminators in each, and 2 units of 6 men with jump-packs as troops. 24 men and 2 vehicles at 1750 points? youch...

No comments:

Post a Comment